Skip to main content

The Other Black Girl - Zakiya Dalila Harris

 Nella has been the only Black employee at Wagner Books for two years. She's been working as an editor's assistant, and though it's hard navigating the all-white company, she's determined to one day be a Black editor so she can help publish Black stories. 



But once a new Black woman is hired, Nella hopes she may have a new ally. Hazel just moved into town, but she is cool, collected, and immediately endears herself to all her new coworkers.  

But just as Nella starts a budding friendship with Hazel, an anonymous note appears on her desk.  

LEAVE WAGNER 

Is a white coworker finally revealing a grudge against her? Is her boss displeased with her work? Or...is Hazel trying to replace Nella as the only Black employee? Nella's world is shaken as she tries to discover who's trying to oust her from her dream career. 

This is largely realistic fiction, but I would recommend this book for readers who want a touch of sci fi or thriller. Just as I thought I had it figured out, this story twisted and turned in ways I did not expect. Harris did an amazing job of setting up the characters and story as well as building tension and paranoia as things start to get away from Nella.