Skip to main content

Salvation Day - Kali Wallace

I picked up Salvation Day because it was included on a list of Luminous Dead read-alikes. It's been two years since I've read The Luminous Dead, and I still bring it up every chance I get. So I should have known I'd be a little disappointed by anything I tried to compare to it. 

Still, Wallace wrote a solid story. Salvation Day switches back and forth between two narrators.  Jaswinder Bhattacharya was the sole survivor of the House of Wisdom disaster. Ten years ago, when he was just twelve, a deadly virus broke out aboard the space station, killing everyone within 24 hours.  

House of Wisdom has floated silently in orbit for ten years, and Jas has spent each one trying to forget that fateful day.  

But Jas is the only person who can open the genetic locks aboard the ship, and Zahra and her crew need him. They're outsiders, brought together by a man named Adam, who has a plan to free them all from Earth's oppressive government.  

If they can abduct Jas, they can board House of Wisdom and escape to the stars. It's a flawless plan, after all, humanity has since been vaccinated against the virus responsible for the House of Wisdom outbreak.  

Obviously, once they get onboard House of Wisdom, things start to go terribly wrong.  

This is a good read for anyone who like sci-fi/horror. Kali Wallace did a really good job creating moments of tension as the characters struggled to figure out what really happened aboard the space station – and how they're going to get out alive. The use of dual narrators was well done, and each character had a distinct voice. They're separate experiences aboard the ship helped build tension as each gathered separate pieces of the puzzle.  

Overall, I would recommend this novel.  If this sounds like your kind of book, you can find it here!