Evelyn Caldwell has just won an award for her groundbreaking clone research. She would be more excited about it if her husband (Nathan) hadn't stolen that research and cloned her in secret to create Martine. Programmed to be the perfect hostess and soft-spoken wife, Martine is everything Evelyn never was.
But when Nathan winds up dead, Evelyn and Martine must team up to make sure he won't be missed.
This book is a science fiction thriller. If you're looking for fast-paced adventure, this one won't be for you. Told from Evelyn's perspective as she struggles to process her husband's betrayal and her unnerving new partnership with Martine, The Echo Wife is much more of a slow burn. It deals with betrayal and abuse, and it gently touches on ethical questions like the personhood of clones. This is a pretty dark tale, but it's absolutely gripping.
When I first picked up this book, I had no idea what to expect. But the synopsis and cover were creepy enough to lure me in. This was a slower burn than I expected, but I do think it was worth it. Halfway through the book, I stopped and wrote down a few ways I thought the book might wrap up a story like this. In the end, every one of my guesses was dead wrong.
If you like dark, slow build stories, check out The Echo Wife today.
