Kappa Rho Nu is the most exclusive sorority at Westerly College. It's also a cover for the most powerful coven of witches in the country. The Ravens alternates between two different Kappas. Scarlett is a junior from a long line of witches, and in line to be the next Kappa president if everything goes right. Vivi is completely the opposite. She doesn't believe in magic. In fact, Westerly is her chance to get away from her "weird" mother. After joining Kappa kind of by accident, she learns she's actually a powerful witch.
This novel plays into the sorority tropes you'd expect. Scarlett and Vivi make a terrible first impression on each other. And since their relationship is antagonistic, of course they're paired together when Scarlett is assigned to be Vivi's Big. Despite the tropes, it's a fun read, and their relationship does improve throughout the story.
Since we're leaning hard into the typical sorority story, of course it needs guys, right?
I feel like this particular story would be better off without them. There are exactly two boys in this book. And they exist only to create tension between Scarlett and Vivi. As such, they are largely bland and one-sided.
Admittedly, I read some reviews before I dived into this book. So I was prepared for the tropes and the flat men. I think that allowed me to enjoy this book more.
If you're interested in The Ravens you can find a copy here.
