I am a sucker for self help books. There is something so satisfying about sitting down and reading a book that tells me my life can be whatever I want it to be. All I have to do is follow my dreams, regardless of my financial situation or how likely actually following some of the steps might leave me homeless. Inspiring.
The one thing about self help books is that they have good tips if you go through all the pages and take only a grain of salt from the mounds and mounds of sodium laden advice. Most of the authors of such books have one of two things going for them: they are already financially secure/have people helping them OR they have a small patch of really good luck that gives them the boost they need to start their flight towards success. If I read one more story about someone who quit their job and booked a flight to Hawaii all in the same day, I might actually rip my hair out. It’s just not practical for the everyday person.
Still, I check these books out because after I close them there is that split second where I feel like, yeah, I can move to Italy and start living in some villa and make a living by writing poems dedicated to the landscape and wine.
So when I picked up the book An Edited Life by Anna Newton, I got ready for those familiar stories. However I was pleasantly surprised. It is filled with actual advice that can be implemented, Ryan Gosling moments, and real talk moments that make this book seem like you are sitting down with a friend and not talking with someone who says drinking water out of a quartz cup is what will turn your life around (seriously, I love crystals but please don’t drink from them. Check the water solubility first).
This book has sections focusing on life, work, and home. Anna makes it clear that you can implement her ideas in anyway that best fits your life and actively acknowledges that struggle is a part of life that you have to work with, not ignore. The books has some areas that are meant to give you a moment to reflect on your own life and think of attainable goals that you can try to fit into your life plan.
This charming yet no nonsense book is great if you want a tool to help you reflect in a realistic way about moves you can make in your life. It’s not about telling you what you need to want, it’s about actually figuring out what you really want and need in your own life. You can pick and choose what parts of the book you want to work on (I know drinking more water and eating better is something I need to work on. Having a capsule wardrobe however, is not for me).
Reviewed by Ashlynn.
The one thing about self help books is that they have good tips if you go through all the pages and take only a grain of salt from the mounds and mounds of sodium laden advice. Most of the authors of such books have one of two things going for them: they are already financially secure/have people helping them OR they have a small patch of really good luck that gives them the boost they need to start their flight towards success. If I read one more story about someone who quit their job and booked a flight to Hawaii all in the same day, I might actually rip my hair out. It’s just not practical for the everyday person.
Still, I check these books out because after I close them there is that split second where I feel like, yeah, I can move to Italy and start living in some villa and make a living by writing poems dedicated to the landscape and wine.
So when I picked up the book An Edited Life by Anna Newton, I got ready for those familiar stories. However I was pleasantly surprised. It is filled with actual advice that can be implemented, Ryan Gosling moments, and real talk moments that make this book seem like you are sitting down with a friend and not talking with someone who says drinking water out of a quartz cup is what will turn your life around (seriously, I love crystals but please don’t drink from them. Check the water solubility first).
This book has sections focusing on life, work, and home. Anna makes it clear that you can implement her ideas in anyway that best fits your life and actively acknowledges that struggle is a part of life that you have to work with, not ignore. The books has some areas that are meant to give you a moment to reflect on your own life and think of attainable goals that you can try to fit into your life plan.
This charming yet no nonsense book is great if you want a tool to help you reflect in a realistic way about moves you can make in your life. It’s not about telling you what you need to want, it’s about actually figuring out what you really want and need in your own life. You can pick and choose what parts of the book you want to work on (I know drinking more water and eating better is something I need to work on. Having a capsule wardrobe however, is not for me).
Reviewed by Ashlynn.
