
Legendary is the second installment in the Caraval series. If you plan on reading this book I highly recommend you read the first one (my review on it here). The first book was a delightful glass of something sweet but not quite thirst quenching.
This one however, isn’t as enjoyable as the last one was. It takes off where the last book ended, and its time for another game of Caraval. This time it's being hosted in the city of Valenda as a celebration of Elantine's day. This holiday is a celebration of Empress Elantine's birthday, so people from all over are sure to attend the festivities and enjoy the game of Caraval.
Scarlett decides once again to join the fray, but this book follows the adventures of Tella instead. I can appreciate the author wanting to focus on another character, but this is one of the reasons I am not such a fan of this book. I relate to Scarlett a lot so maybe I am biased when I say that following her was a more enjoyable experience but in my opinion Tella is a character that doesn’t have many positive qualities. She loves her sister, but reading about her feels like following the antics of a spoiled child. I will say she is very determined and headstrong. But something about her personality just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Again, I may be a bit bitter just because this book has very little of Scarlett and Julian, and seems to mention them just to make sure you remember they exist, but I won’t apologize for it. *ahem*
Tella has to use her wits to win the game of Caraval this year for a numbers of reasons. She has to win in order to pay back a debt left over from the first book, but also to get information on the mother she and Scarlett lost many years ago. One day, they awoke to find their mother gone with no note, sign, or clue as to where she went or when she would be back, let alone if she would be back. Not only are the stakes high, but the game is dangerous. The dark, brooding Dante feels inclined to step in and make Tella's life difficult. And in between the playful flirting with Julian she also crosses path with the heir to Valenda, a man rumored to be a dangerous murder. How else did all the people between him and the throne mysteriously die?
One thing I will say is I do adore Garber's writing abilities when it comes to setting a scene. While it can come across as over the top at some points (the descriptions can seem a bit… frivolous at times) in general her words are multicolored threads that come together to make a truly beautiful tapestry.
Reviewed by Ashlynn.